19 April 2006

Bajs!

Shelby is now on a winged capsule somewhere over the Atlantic. He'll be continuing his life in Sweden with his fiancé. As pained as I am over his departure, I'm really proud of him for taking this leap; he is a hero. Few people have the courage to live their lives their way, without comparing themselves to others. Even fewer have the stamina to keep doing it.

There are several positives to all of this. Shelby is marrying a wonderful girl. He's going to be closer to his family. He has a great shot at opening his cafe, Captain Espresso, with our friend Håkan. I've got friends in Sweden now. I've got new friends here too, as we all got together to say our goodbyes. I've also got some amazing art, an original painting Shelby made back in 98. It deserves a frame.

Sweden sounds like a wonderful place, and I plan to visit as soon as is feasible. Frankly, I can get behind a culture that has a specific word for taking a relaxing coffee break with your mates. Perhaps some day I'll be behind the bar of Captain Espresso with Shelby, crafting a salve for a weary traveler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home